Monday, May 01, 2006

Just Breathe


I am an introverted-extrovert. It took me years to learn this about myself as I thought you had to be one or the other. I love being with people and actually get my energy from things like being in a full mall or grocery store, being in a room of people I know and I love meeting new people, (as long as I'm with someone I know or having a good day). But I need my alone time. I need to be able to just sit down and soak up the silence. I have been labelled an extrovert by a lot of people, and most personality tests tell me the same, but it wasn't until I discovered that you can in fact be an introverted extrovert that I was able to stop burning out. While I do love people, I am truly a homebody and nothing calms, centers and rejuvenates me like the refuge of my home.

When I get busy I forget to take the time to be alone. Instead I am on the go constantly surrounded by people until one day I wake up feeling like the crazed and I have a Homer Simpson moment and remember I haven't been alone in a long time. It's still a lesson I'm learning, to take time for me and make me a priority.

But then there are times when you just can't be alone. For example, the last week when we had house guests. At some point I got that crazed feeling and there was no where to go! There was no refuge, no sanctuary of silence.

Today however, our house is quiet and empty. Belle is down for a nap and I'm spending the day recentering. It feels nice to do. And even nicer to know why I have to do it. I think I like the balance of being an introverted-extrovert.

2 comments:

Jen said...

That's interesting Amanda. I've always felt like I was somewhere in the middle of introverted and extroverted.

the Haazens :) said...

I'm glad you've been able to find that balance and be comfortable with yourself! That in itself is so freeing=)

Love the pic of Belle too...is that one from the last Sears bunch? Cute!