Tuesday, December 26, 2006

One Sided

This year we had a family Christmas with my mom's side of the family. The above picture is my grand-father, (my mom's dad), with Brooklyn resting after dinner. We kids call him Poppy and he is notorious for making babies cry as soon as he holds them. Both of my girls cuddle up in his arms and fall asleep. What a great Christmas gift. Usually my grand parents spend the winter in Arizona, but they didn't go this year. I'm sure the girls made things a little sweeter.
Isabella did a great job at this loud outing. There were so many people talking to her at once, and a bunch of presents under the tree that she didn't even try to touch! After dinner she did get a little whiny, (we missed her afternoon nap), and so I went to cuddle with her while the grown-ups finished up the wine in the dining room. It was some nice quiet time.
Then we started doing the gifts and Isabella wanted to stand in the middle of the room and take it all in. With so many people getting gifts she didn't realize some were for her. Nick tried to get her excited to tear open some boxes. I'll post what she got a bit later. It's loud, and can get annoying, but she loves, loves, loves it.
Then my Aunt Shell requested some baby time after the excitement died down. She hosted the event making a delicious roast beef and all the trimmings. She was quite disappointed as the whole meal didn't turn out. The Yorkshire puddings she had made spilled into the back of the oven. This caused the oven to burst into flames. This caused baking soda to be poured into the oven to squelch the flames. The baking soda went all over the Yorkshires. Then black smoke filled the house. Then the fire alarms went off. The fire alarms are hooked up to the house alarm system which also went off. Then ADT called. Then we spent about half an hour keeping Belle and two dogs calm waiting for the smoke to clear and the alarm to turn off. Brooklyn was whisked up to the top floor and sealed in a bedroom by her quick thinking second cousin so as not to get smoke inhilation. It was a great fiasco. The stuff stories are made of. Not sure when I'll get to try those Yorkshires.

That was the first of our Christmas events!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the fire wasn't worse! Sounds like the girls had a good time :)

Jen said...

Sounds like a crazy Christmas! I love Yorkshire puddings but they are so oily and messy. Last time I made them some oil must have spilled in the oven because for WEEKS after you could smell burning oil in the oven when I cooked.

Anyway- I love that picture of you and Belle. The look on her face is too cute.

Merry Christmas!

Tara said...

It is good to hear that you all had a great time being surrounded by family making new memories