Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The Camel's back.

You know that expression "the hair that broke the camel's back". I think I have the verbiage screwed up, so please comment and let me know what it actually is.

And even though I have it messed up, I know you know what I mean. I had decided a while ago that I wanted to exclusively pump in order to feed Brooklyn, but I had thought I would try breastfeeding the traditional way first and see how it went and then re-evaluate in a couple of weeks or so. But Brooklyn is just like her sister. Wide awake, smiling, laughing even and then you hook her up to the boob and she's asleep quicker than most teenagers. I have never had such rock hard boobs in my life. I started to think pumping was going to be happening a little earlier than planned.

Then at church on Sunday I excused myself from the service to go and feed her in the foyer. As soon as I sat down the dad of a guy we're friends with sat down next to me. Now I'm not exactly fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes, or the current breastfeeding attire I own, so I knew that as soon as I unzipped my sweater he would get to know me, all of me, a lot better than he wanted. After a few awkward moments he finally got on and moozeyed off. I got Brooklyn latched on and we were just sitting there listening to the sermon doing our thing. Along comes an elderly lady, one who knows me but I do not know her name. She says the usual congratulations and asks how I'm feeling. I assume she is going to move on. Nope, she pulls the blanket that I have covering Brooklyn right off so she can get a good luck at our little bundle. What the heck!

Pumping is definitely for me. I'm transparent, but there are parts of me I don't want anyone to see.

9 comments:

kelle said...

Oh my! How embarrassing!! I can't believe someone would have the nerve to just pull the blanket back while you're feeding Brooklyn.

Anonymous said...

Pump it with pride, Amanda! I have come to appreciate the joys and benefits of it and hope it works for you too. :)

Jen said...

The straw that broke the camel's back (?)

I loved breastfeeding but it's not always for everyone. I was going to comment that it has worked so well for Avelyn & Amanda but she beat me to it! Good luck. :)

Anonymous said...

Hee hee.

Matthew's Dad came up from the office yesterday and saw my boob hanging out. Good times, good times.

Do whatever works for YOU :)

Anonymous said...

Some people!!!

You do whatever works for you. Your girls are just like you were - and I never found a way to keep you awake to nurse! At that time there wasn't much help available as it wasn't expected nor accepted but now you can call the public health nurse to get places to give you a hand - even an electric pump if you need.

So, remember to relax and enjoy whatever method of feeding you choose to explore - and do try a few - maybe she'll stay awake if she is mostly nude? or if you find something that stimulates her while not feeding, you can see if it will stimulate her to nurse.

Robyn said...

How rude. I had people kiss Becca while I was nursing her which frankly I think crosses the line, and so does removing whatever is covering a feeding baby. Grrr.
Good luck with feeding Brooklyn in whatever fashion works for you both!
Oh and Jen's right, its the straw :)

Christy and Dustin said...

Amanda, i'm so thrilled you had another beautiful baby girl! She's really is very very cute. I've been a little out of the loop as i've had no internet for awhile so I missed the birth announcement. I was totally glued to the screen reading your birth story. I don't look forward to that next month. But, ti sounds like you did amazing and wound up having the most pretty little baby girl. Congratulations.

Elizabeth said...

Sigh, the things we mommies get to endure. Lucky us!

the Haazens :) said...

I'm in agreement with all of the other comments....what's right for you is what's right for your baby! She's blessed to have you and to have been born into such a great fam=)