Thursday, January 11, 2007

Honored

I've always considered it an honor to be blessed with children. To be given the gift of a tiny life to hold in my hands and to be entrusted with growing it healthily. I am now also learning the honor of being involved in the lives of my friend's children. I've mentioned a few times about our friends that recently had twins. They were in the hospital for quite some time and I had a vicious cold that did not allow me to go and visit. I couldn't imagine bringing sniffles to the Special Care Nursery and possibly infecting one of their kids, or worse yet the children of someone I didn't even know. Nick went on Monday, at my insistence, and got to see them. And he brought home the new mom and dad for dinner. I knew they were coming and warmed up some dinner and got the house quiet and comfortable so they could rest and eat and head home to bed. When they arrived I did my best to think of unique questions to ask them assuming they had already regalled the tale to a bazillion people. In one of the quiet moments I confessed I was searching my brain for a unique question and they confessed we were the first people they'd talked with since the twins were born! Sure they'd had visitors and done the usual small talk and taken them into the nursery to have the babies 'oohed' andd 'ahhhd' over but we were the first to hear about the adventures of week one of being the parents of twins. Such an honor. Then tonight I was invited to their house to meet their babies as I didn't get to see them in the hospital. They'd asked everyone else to not even call until Saturday but they invited me. My heart was bursting as I bounced around the corner to their home. And when I arrived I did my best to be respectful, (which was hard because my excitement did not want to let my voice whisper). Then they offered for me to hold their precious baby girl! In the hospital people were barely allowed to breathe around them, and here I was being offered a chance to hold them! I knew this was an honor above honors and cherished every moment. That tiny bundle of baby smelling goodness. A mere 5 pound baby dressed in preemie clothes and wrapped in 3 blankets. So tiny and yet already full to overflowing of life! I came home bursting with a freshness I haven't felt in a while. That someone else felt I was worthy of sharing their child with at such an early day in their life. Amazing. Amazing that such tiny people bring us so much closer to an amazingly huge God. Babies are definitely good things.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I know exactly what you mean. I remember the extreme overwhelming feelings of holding my nieces for the first time, before I was even a mom. And how great it felt to be with Amanda through her pregnancy and get to hold Avelyn on her very first day of life. My heart overflowed!

Elizabeth said...

Excellent post. You made me feel so many things all at once!

Christy and Dustin said...

Other peoples children are just as precious and just as much a gift of God as our own aren't they. You hit the nail on the head Amanda.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post. ALL babies are miracles :)

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. Whenever I see a close friend with their new baby I am filled with such joy. Holding those tiny twins sounded so special.

the Haazens :) said...

They are such sweet, precious gifts right from heaven!