Wednesday, September 06, 2006

To do....Check.

I know that every expecting mother has a "to do" list longer than the gestation period of giraffes, and I am no exception. One of the things on our "to do" list is transitioning Isabella from her play yard to a big girl bed. When we first came up with this plan we bought a little toddler bed, but later returned it deciding it wasn't the most economical choice for us as she would just need a twin bed later on anyway. The toddler bed sure made this transition seem less scary as she didn't look like a tiny baby again standing next to it. This bed looks monstrous next to her! It's shorter than Nick and so I know it's not that tall. We moved her to the bed on Saturday night and she's been doing exceptionally well. I was all geared up for night after night of walking her back to her bed and firmly placing her there yada yada. On the first night we had about an hour of that and then I clued in that it was just a game to her and let her cry it out. She fell asleep hugging the baby gate at the top of the stairs. But when we went to bed we picked her up and placed her back in her bed and so she woke up there. I've not had to put her back in her bed more than once for the night since. I'm so thankful God gave me the energy to be consistent, (except for the one time she fell out and Nick fell asleep next to her and stayed there until he came up with the genius idea of folding a blanket to act as a guardrail!). I think it's safe to say that sleeping the night in the big girl bed has been checked off our list.

Nap time in the afternoon is a very different story! She doesn't cry, she knows that if she plays quietly we don't come up and so she does until she's ready to sleep and then we go up to get her and find her in all kinds of crazy places!


I guess it just proves that life is a never ending process. I'm not quite sure what we'll do once the baby arrives as her favorite place to play in the afternoon has become the nursery. Maybe she'll start staying in her bed when she realizes her brother/sister is in bed too.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is an absolutly adorable picture. She sure gets cuter every day. Hope its all going good for you!!

kelle said...

I'm glad that the transition is going well. The pic of Isabella sleeping on the floor is absolutely adorable!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of her on the floor!

Ah, the transition stages, hey?

Michelle said...

Looks like the same thing Abby did, falling asleep all over the place.

the Haazens :) said...

That is ADORABLE!!! I love the place she chose to sleep that day...so CUTE!

YAY that it wasn't too much of a stressful transition. One question though (cause I am going to be putting G in a highbed...he'll sleep on the bottom for now with the mattress pretty much on the floor)..what I'm wondering is about the ladder, does she try and climb up to the top? I don't know if I can leave the ladder off of our highbed or not. He's fallen off the top bunk of a bunk bed at a friends house before and I don't really want him to be making a habit of it.

Amanda Franks said...

T, So far she hasn't tried to climb the ladder. She's a smidge to short to get into the bottom bunk by herself and so she really hasn't tried climbing on the structure yet. I'm sure it will come once she gets a little taller though. I would say leave the ladder on because with kids where there's a will there's a way and if he wants up top he'll just climb on the ends. Better to teach him to safely use the ladder to get up and down in my opinion! Good luck with the transition, hope it goes as smoothly for you!!

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO Cute!!! And she actually sleeps - not much like her Mom! HaHa.