Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fruit Scentsation

A few posts ago I was talking about how my home, and my self smell. That post was just the tip of the iceberg of things I have been contemplating, and I promise one day in the near future I'll get back to the whale vomit.

But today I have tripped upon a conclusion. I was trying to think of what God-sense would smell like. I had a friend in high school who wore the perfume OM by GAP. It was this delightful musky scent with a hint of femininity and I think that might be what God's character smells like a bit. The Bible lets us into the mix of male and female traits in Him and so I think that perfume comes close in terms of description.

But I don't think that's how God wants me to smell. I think the Bible clearly states that He created male and female uniquely and while He encompasses all things, we get to focus on our gender specifics.

However, I was thinking that every Christian should smell fruity. Not as in Carson from Queer Eye, but more like the fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control. But not in a lip balm sort of way where the fruity taste touches your lips in an over powering way and then it fades into nothingness. I think more like an orchard.

Where the fruit is abundant. Where the vines are to heavy with their own weight sometimes, and then seemingly empty but filled with the promise of the next harvest. Where you can bury all of our senses in the smell of a particular fruit if you feel led. Where the sweet scents mingle with fresh air and sunshine and wash over your being while you bask in it's goodness.

I want to smell fruity. Like the farmer doing the work of harvesting his orchard, I hope that I can do the work of harvesting a fruit scentsation!

2 comments:

Amanda Brown said...

I still love OM. Totally what God must smell like. :) The scent "Heaven" by the Gap will always remind me of you and our glory days. :)

Bloggy Mama said...

I also love OM. I think I would like to smell like sweet grapefruit. Why? I don't know...